I suggest you ...

Support user-downloaded NOAA ENC files (on SD card).

I can download my entire cruising are from NOAA as ENC files. It would be way cool if I could transfer them to my SD card and have EarthNC use them.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brian Haney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  AdminBrad Winney (Director, EarthNC) responded  · 

This general idea keeps coming up so we’re thinking about ways we might include uploaded maps as another layer. Our principle challenge is that we currently tile all of the NOAA ENC’s into a singular chart layer (at all published zoom levels). So, incorporating imported charts would either have to be integrated into our process (somehow) or we would just allow them to appear as individual chart tiles – which might be a weird experience. If we’re supplying all of the same charts, we’re curious as to what the big payoff would be here?

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminBrad Winney (Director, EarthNC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The primary issue here, in part, is that data density. The entire U.S. chart set (at all zoom levels) is huge (40 some odd GB's of data). Given our "cloud" architecture, we've been working on a) data compression and b) the download process. We make a fundamental assumption that boaters do not require the entire U.S. chart set on their mobile devices all the time and that the preference is for the latest data in general regions - in real-time. That all said, we are still looking at being able to save data to an SD card as a means to save storage space on the devices themselves. To be continued...

• Mark M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like you might save yourself headaches now if you invested effort into matching tiling efforts of desktop apps using these charts. Then as format changes and chart updates come out you can keep us users in sync more easily.

• Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

payoff would be that we could get all the charts at once and have them in place. then you wouldnt have to edit the code to allow for larger download buffer of charts for off-line views. if we could point at an SD while offline we could kill several birds with one stone.

Feedback and Knowledge Base