I suggest you ...

Distance/Range/Proximity Rings

I think your product rocks and definitely meets most of my needs. The one thing I would like to see, and I think other users may appreciate is distance/proximity rings around your location. The bottom of the display gives you a distance scale, which is great, but it would be great to take that scale (or user defined scale preferable) to draw proximity rings/circles around your location so that distance to an object could be easily determined at a glance. There are several reasons why this would be beneficial. The main one for me and the reason I would like to see this implemented for is regarding weather conditions. Sometimes weather creeps up on you and being able to determine the distance from your location, direction and speed of a storm cell quickly can help quickly plan alternate routes or alter plans to avoid bad weather. As you can imagine is not fun to arrive to a destination at the same time a storm arrives

I would like to see an option to select either the distance of the current built in scale shown on the map or a user defined distance between rings. Allowing a user to define a distance, say 50 nm, distance can be approximated quickly at a glance regardless of zoom level on the map. The built in scale dynamically changes the distance between rings and that, in my humble opinion, may cause confusion when changing zoom levels.

I would also like to see an option to allow the user to set the number of rings around your location. This will allow a user to extend the range out to a distance that is meaningful to them. A recreational boat navigation a river has less options for alternate routes as they are bound by the contours of the river than a boat navigating coastal waters. Therefore a recreational boat in a river may need to determine a distance, speed and direction to an approaching storm at greater distances than the boat in coastal waters.

I believe that this type of functionally will be well received by the user community as it can allow users to quickly make appropriate navigation adjustments to several navigation scenarios, weather being one of them, and also increase the value of the software by incorporating a small safety element to it. I also believe that the proximity rings will help open the door to future software enhancements such as Fuel / Repairs / Marina locations and AIS Traffic.

I'm sure by now you can see the benefits that users would get with this enhancement as well as the potential future enhancement opportunities it will bring to the software.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    spiffytechfl shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminBrad Winney (Director, EarthNC) responded  · 

A great idea – makes a lot of sense. There’s a number of ways we might approach this. Where this item is, in the list of things to do is unclear, but we’ll start thinking about it. As an fyi, we’re working on user accounts such that boaters can create and edit waypoints & routes on either their mobile device or their desktop computer (via our Online Viewer) and then have it all be sync’d automatically. We’re also working on nexrad radar weather animation. We’re close.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bwilmot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea this would be very helpful while moving from one fishing spot to another. Often I am asked how far we going when we going to be there.

Feedback and Knowledge Base